Chestnut Cake

Chestnut is the one of my favorite winter fruits. It reminds me my childhood, the snow and of course the New Year. Sometimes I boil it, sometimes I just cook it in a cast iron skillet and usually I bake it in the oven but I especially like roasted chestnuts. Chestnuts have a hard shell and a soft, melt in the mouth texture on the inside and I really like this taste. And I absolutely want to eat chestnut cake on the New Year’s Day. I like to have a sweet start to the New Year with a slice of chestnut cake with vanilla ice-cream. Enjoy it.

Ingredients:
  • 400 grams chestnut
  • ½  glass powdered sugar
  • 100 grams butter
  • 100 grams bitter chocolate
  • 3 tablespoon milk
  • 1 packet vanilla (1 dessert spoon)
  • 2 table spoon cognac
To cover it with ganache;
  • 100 grams bitter chocolate
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 1 tablespoon cream
  • to decorate: powdered sugar and vanilla ice cream (optional)
Ganache;
  • Melt the chocolate using Bain-Marie technique, add the butter and cream and mix them.

Directions:

• Cut an X on the chestnut without damaging them and boil them in a plenty of water. Remove the skins and put them aside.
  • Mix the chocolate into the melted butter and add milk, vanilla and cognac in it. Mix this mixture with chestnut and the powdered sugar and put them in the food processor and have a smooth puree.
  • Line a loaf pan with stretch film and put the puree in it.  Freeze it in the deep freezer, then keep it in the refrigerator for a day, remove it from the loaf pan and put it on a wire rack, place a tray under it to catch the extra melted chocolate.
  • To cover it, prepare the ganache and pour it over the chestnut cake to cover the top and sides evenly. Put it back in the deep freezer.
  • Before serving it, remove it from the freezer and refrigerate for1-2 hours. Dust with powdered.
  • Put a scoop of ice cream on a dessert plate and let it stand for a few minutes so it starts to melt. Then slice your cake and put it over the ice cream. If you’d like you can decorate it with fresh mint leaves.

Pay attention!

• If you don’t want to boil the chestnut you can use canned chestnut puree.  As the canned chestnut is sweet don’t add powdered sugar in it.

You might also like: 

© 2009 - 2017 dokuzuncubulut Her hakkı saklıdır. Yazı ve fotoğraflar hiçbir şekilde izin alınmadan kullanılamaz, alıntı yapılamaz.